Washington, D.C. — Today, Business Forward Foundation issued a report, Ohio is Not Full, highlighting the cost of President Trump’s immigration policies on Ohio’s economy.
“President Trump argues that America is full – that we can’t handle any more immigrants,” said Jim Doyle, president of Business Forward Foundation. “Ohio’s real problem is declining birth rates, a shrinking workforce, and small towns that are losing young workers to big cities.”
Ohio is older than the national average, and it’s aging quickly. Without a steady flow of new immigrants, Ohio’s economy could fall into a reinforcing cycle of job losses, lower investment, and falling property values. Over time, an aging, shrinking population hurts schools, pensions, infrastructure, and economic opportunity.
“To appreciate just how dangerous Trump’s ‘we’re full’ approach could be, we should compare its impact to immigration reform proposals that national business groups have offered,” explained Doyle. “A balanced approach to immigration proposed by the Business Roundtable would grow Ohio’s economy by $19.4 billion over ten years, while ‘restrictive’ policies could cost Ohio $12.7 billion over that same period. That’s a swing of $32.1 billion.”
The report’s key facts include:
- Ohio has the 14th oldest population in the U.S.
- Ohio currently ranks 50th in the nation in business dynamism, a measure that reflects the rate of new business formation and frequency of labor market turnover.
- Immigrants contribute a net $1 billion to Ohio’s economy through tax and income contributions less the cost of public services.
- Ohio has a shortage of doctors that will only get worse as the population ages. Immigrants, who represent 4% of the state’s population but 29% of its doctors, can help close the health care labor gap.
- There are more than 26,000 immigrant entrepreneurs across the state and they have created 125,000 new jobs.
- A balanced approach to immigration would create 196,000 new jobs in Ohio, while restrictive policies could cost the state 133,000 jobs – a difference of 329,000 jobs.
ABOUT BUSINESS FORWARD FOUNDATION
The Business Forward Foundation is an independent research and education organization that takes a business-minded look at policy issues affecting America’s economic competitiveness. Our work combines insights and advice from business leaders across the country with rigorous policy analysis. Through white papers, issue briefs, conference calls, and other events, we educate policy makers and the public about climate change, immigration reform, infrastructure investment, the future of work, and other critical issues.